Time to meet the Elmore girls!
I was very nervous the day before the c-section, but on Thursday morning I felt great. I had a huge feeling of relief that it was almost over and I was going to meet my baby girls.
Reagan Faith Elmore
7:04am, 4lbs 6oz, 16 inches
Reagan was the only one who needed some oxygen at birth, but she only needed the little hood you can see for an hour. She has had three apnea episodes, but they said it is normal with preemies. All the girls are in incubators until they can regulate their own temperatures and are hooked up to monitors for their heart rate and oxygen. They also have iv solutions because they are not eating the calories they need. Reagan looks just like Brooke as a baby.
This was either Paige or Kara. I didn't get to hold Reagan because she needed oxygen. Troy was running back and forth because as soon as a baby came out they took them across the hall to get evaluated.
Mommy holding Reagan in the NICU. She is so sweet!
Brooke got to celebrate being a Big Sister with a little party. The hospital sent us a sibling cake and juice. Luckily Ella and Jack were there to join the festivities.
Kara on tv! It was quite an experience having all the tv crews and Chronicle at the hospital taking pictures, videos and asking questions. I realized that you probably shouldn't give an interview while being on pain medication and having the high definition television after giving birth to triplets. It did make an overwhelming experience fun and we were so happy to share it with the other couples. I had been corresponding with Stephanie Lacombe for months and Karen Estrada for a few weeks. It was amazing that we all ended up delivering the same day! We got word from the CEO at Woman's Hospital that CBS morning show wanted to interview all of us. We passed on that because one of the moms wasn't feeling too good. A booking agent for Good Morning America left a message for Troy, but we haven't heard back. So crazy!
7:04am, 4lbs 6oz, 16 inches
Reagan was the only one who needed some oxygen at birth, but she only needed the little hood you can see for an hour. She has had three apnea episodes, but they said it is normal with preemies. All the girls are in incubators until they can regulate their own temperatures and are hooked up to monitors for their heart rate and oxygen. They also have iv solutions because they are not eating the calories they need. Reagan looks just like Brooke as a baby.
7:05am, 4lbs 7oz, 17 inches
Kara is the only one who hasn't had any apnea episodes, but it took her and Paige until today to have a bowel movement. They couldn't increase their food intake until they went poop and the nurses were going to give them a suppository today. Whew! They didn't have to. Both Kara and Paige are good eaters and wanted more the the 5ml they were getting to eat, but weren't allowed until now. yeah!
It is very hard to tell them apart without their hats on! We haven't seen them right next to each other to compare all of them. We have to hold the girls right next to their incubators because of all the monitors and ivs they are on. You can't see all the cords because they are in their feet or hands.
Reagan eats very slow and may have to get a feeding tube to help her out on some of her feeds because she took almost 25 minutes to eat 18ml. After about 30 minutes preemies will end up burning calories sucking because it takes so much out of them. We'll see about the feeding tube in the next few days.
Brooke got to visit the girls today! On Wednesdays and Sundays during certain times siblings can visit the NICU. She was very excited. She is touching Kara's leg in this picture.
7:05am, 4lbs 5oz, 17 inches
Paige and Kara are the identical twins are were born at the same time! Paige has had the most apnea episodes, but hasn't had one since 2pm today. They may have to give her and Reagan caffeine if it continues (not Starbucks, it will be by iv). Apnea is where they stop breathing for 20 seconds. The part of the brain that tells the body to breath is not fully developed yet, so it is normal for them to have trouble. It is still scary to me. They babies can't come home until they go a week with no episodes. Right now the estimated time for them to come home is three weeks. We'll just have to wait and see how they do.
I got to come home today! I am in a lot of pain from the c-section. They removed the staples today and I walked a lot more. I am rethinking the tummy tuck because of this pain. I'll have to pray that my skin gets really tight on it's own or I forget about this pain in a year. I don't remember my c-section from Brooke hurting this much. At least now that I am not pregnant I can breathe. It was instant as soon as they took Reagan out. I kept taking deep breaths.
It was so hard to leave the girls today and I have been emotional and crying a lot . It is not sad, but a happy cry. I was so scared to get attached to them while pregnant in case something happened and now I just love them so much. I think it is just the relief that everything went so well and all the girls are doing as good as can be expected.
Troy just called to check on them in the NICU. I can't talk to the nurses because I will start crying. I couldn't sleep this morning and I called to check on them at 3:30am. I found out they still hadn't pooped and cried because I was so worried. Then when Troy got to the hospital today he went to check on them and told me they did poop and I cried because I was so happy. I am just a mess and all over poop!
All the girls got good reports tonight AND they all pooped at 9pm. I didn't cry for this one. None of them had any apnea episodes and Reagan ate her 18ml in only 10 minutes.
We'll keep you updated and thank you for all your continued prayers and support.
Troy and I are over the moon with our four girls.


Congratulations, the babies are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWishing you all much joy and happiness!
Congratulations!!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your gorgeous baby girls!!! So glad everything went well!!! Take care!
ReplyDeleteVery sweet baby girls, you should be proud! I've been following the blog and now reliving our NICU days with you, I was a blubbering mess at the beginning too. :) Big Sister is a beauty...I can tell she is going to be a great big sis! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteMommy to 5 girls
Reagan (almost 6)
McKinley, Kennedy, Madison, and Taylor (3 today!)
and our angel Carter (6-16-06)
Hi Troy and Heather! This is Amy Jo!(costenaro-Hiort) Congrats and welcome to the world of multiples!I had the constant tingling down my arms throughout my pregnancy with our twins, and had to wear hand braces the whole time. Its an awful feeling, but will go away soon now that you've given birth! Kisses to the babies!
ReplyDelete